Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission flare on 2-3 shift

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transmission flare on 2-3 shift

I have been doing some reading on the forum about this since mine just started doing this in the past few days. It seems to only occur during cold starts. Once the car is warmed up it is fine.

I have seen the service bulletin and it seems that the cause is the clutch fluid seal rings leaking. My car is stock other than the magnacharger and tune but I'm pretty sure the dealership will try to void the warranty and not fix this even though it is a known issue.

I guess my questions are how long can the car be driven like this before any serious damage occurs to the transmission?

Can these rings be replaced without completely rebuilding the transmission?

08' G8 GT | 08' G6 GT | 09' Crew Cab LTZ

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard yes. The dealership I work with chose to rebuild a transmission rather than just the seals. Against GM's recommendation.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

BMR, Brembo, Circle D, Comp Cams, Crazy Paul's Holden parts,
    Gforce axles, GRRRR8.net SS bolt kit and heater hoses, LandSpeed Development,
    Livernois, Lunati, Pedders, White auto media
    Under more construction.

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8 Ray View Post
    I have heard yes. The dealership I work with chose to rebuild a transmission rather than just the seals. Against GM's recommendation.
    Did they give you a hard time about having mods on the car?

08' G8 GT | 08' G6 GT | 09' Crew Cab LTZ

Post Thanks / Like

No they put most of them on there.
    Rest in Peace Charlie!

BMR, Brembo, Circle D, Comp Cams, Crazy Paul's Holden parts,
    Gforce axles, GRRRR8.net SS bolt kit and heater hoses, LandSpeed Development,
    Livernois, Lunati, Pedders, White auto media
    Under more construction.

Just a GT

Quote Originally Posted by RichsGreyGT View Post
    this site is hardcore modding central.

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My chevy dealer has agreed to repair my transmission next week when all the parts come in. They view it as a mechanical failure so they can repair it even though they are a chevy dealer. cosmetics like wrinkled carpet or a blown speaker they won't work on till they pick up the buick gmc line that closed across the street....
    Livernois Stage 1 cam, valve job, milled heads, ported intake, kooks mid length 1 7/8 headers, corsa cat back, rotofab CAI, Pedders XA Street Kit, BMR trailing arms.

427 RWHP / 397 RWTQ

Vertini Riviera 19 x 8.5 and 19 x 9.5. Bridgestone Pole Position 245/40/19 Fr and 275/35/19 Rr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest2000 View Post
    My chevy dealer has agreed to repair my transmission next week when all the parts come in. They view it as a mechanical failure so they can repair it even though they are a chevy dealer. cosmetics like wrinkled carpet or a blown speaker they won't work on till they pick up the buick gmc line that closed across the street....
    They can take care of cosmetic stuff, or electronic stuff at the same time as a mechanical hard failure...as long as there is something there to allow the cross line warranty, then it becomes a customer service/satisfaction issue.
    **RIP Shaun Finley**
    FUCK CANCER
    **RIP Charlie**

'16 2SS NFG Camaro M6 NPP Mag
    Procharged, custom 4.5" heat exchanger, custom cam
    LT4 fuel system and top hardware, Stainless Works long tubes
    Weld wheels, Hoosier rear fatties, M&H front skinnies

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

they have been good about engine and trans repairs even with my mods im not going to gripe too much.

they would do it if the dealer across the street wasnt fighting with them and gm over their lot closing. they don't want to push the issue.
    Livernois Stage 1 cam, valve job, milled heads, ported intake, kooks mid length 1 7/8 headers, corsa cat back, rotofab CAI, Pedders XA Street Kit, BMR trailing arms.

427 RWHP / 397 RWTQ

Vertini Riviera 19 x 8.5 and 19 x 9.5. Bridgestone Pole Position 245/40/19 Fr and 275/35/19 Rr

Post Thanks / Like

That's great that they're fixing your car. I'm very surprised, considering your mods. Seems like other dealerships are looking for any reason they can to deny claims.

'09 PBM GT: 579hp/ 552tq - SOLD

Addicted Member
    Post Thanks / Like

my buddy is a mechanic there it helps. plus they are installing my suspension kit. They seem to like my money i spend with them

427 RWHP / 397 RWTQ

Post Thanks / Like

I was told if there was a GMC or Pontiac dealer close by Chevy can't do any warranty on it. GM would not cover any repairs. If customer paid no problem.