Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: On Star Back up Battery replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Default On Star Back up Battery replacement

Anyone know the procedure for replacing the On Star back up battery?
    2008 Liquid Red, Premium (onyx/red), Sport. ARH 1 3/4 LT, Roto Fab CAI, VMS HSRK, Jeremy Formato Ported Intake and TB, Livernois Stage 1c Cam & DOD Delete, CNC Valve Job, Jeremy Formato Chasis Dyno Tune, BP Catch Can, lower panel mod.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

It's under the rear deck cover. You'll have to take out the rear seat first. Look for the SAS keyless extender instructions. It's not that hard to take the stuff apart.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steeringwheel, SOLO axlebacks, Red Hot Shift Knob, Autodim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infiniti speakers, Pioneer Sub & Amp

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dealer did mine. They said a tech with long arms was able to do it without pulling everything apart.

9 Second G8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J Wikoff View Post
    It's under the rear deck cover. You'll have to take out the rear seat first. Look for the SAS keyless extender instructions. It's not that hard to take the stuff apart.
    Fogive my confusion but... are you talking about the shelf under the rear window? I thought the on star system was that box that hangs under the package tray inside the trunk.
    2008 Liquid Red, Premium (onyx/red), Sport. ARH 1 3/4 LT, Roto Fab CAI, VMS HSRK, Jeremy Formato Ported Intake and TB, Livernois Stage 1c Cam & DOD Delete, CNC Valve Job, Jeremy Formato Chasis Dyno Tune, BP Catch Can, lower panel mod.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the On Star backup battery, here is the story on that issue. I ordered it and installed it myself as the dealer went through all kinds of diagnostic jiberish to just change it. They were talking about pulling the VCIM and pulling numbers and this and that...

Now for the reason I write this. The battery going bad, in my opinion was my fault when I did the cam install. When researching the replacement procedure I found out that the battery is a ONE TIME USE unit that is designed to activate upon the severing of the power to the car such as when in a crash. It will activate and stay activated until drained and I do not know if there is a test to tell you it has been activated (absent a crash) or a reset procedure if it has! All I got was a red light on the rear view mirror when it died.

To activate the On Star back up battery, all you have to do is to disconnect the car battery while the key is in the ignition and in the "on" position OR if the RAP is still active (Retained Accessory Power) (The RAP is what is powering the accessories for a brief period while the key is out of the ignition and you are still listening to the radio).

So, when doing ANYTHING that requires the disconnection of the vehicle's battery, MAKE SURE THE KEY IS IN YOUR POCKET AND THE RETAINED ACCESSORY POWER HAS EXPIRED or you too could shell out $90.00 for a new one. One other note, it wasn't hard to replace and they are date stamped as they are only suppose to last 4 years, unused.

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G8GTlawride View Post
    Fogive my confusion but... are you talking about the shelf under the rear window? I thought the on star system was that box that hangs under the package tray inside the trunk.
    Sorry, I missed your reply. But you figured it out anyway.
    09 G8 GT SRM Premium Sport Sunroof

HSV GTS Triple Gauge Pod, GXP Rear Sway Bar and Diffuser, HSV SuperSport Steeringwheel, SOLO axlebacks, Red Hot Shift Knob, Autodim Mirror, Hood Vent Mod, Removed Intake Cover, Rotofab CAI, Cortex, Infiniti speakers, Pioneer Sub & Amp

Admin: www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com