Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: Throttle position sensor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Throttle position sensor

Does anyone know which wire to tap into to get throttle position. I am hooking up a WOT switch and need to find the 0-4V output on the TB. I can find with a voltage tester but if any of you nitrous guys know which wire it is I would appreciate it.
    09 G8 GT MGM, Premium/Sport/Sunroof
    TVS1900 Maggie w/3" pulley, Kooks 1-7/8 LT's, Magnaflow 16875 moded to full 3" exhaust w/hf cats, Fast 65# injectors, Lonnie' dual FP, Camaro 3.27 diff, Roto-Fab CAI, BP catch can, IAT relotation kit, Dynoed @ 485rwhp-475 rwtq
    Homelink-visor, auto dim mirror, LED int. lights, driverside trunk release, HSV 3 gauge kit w/boost, fuel press., wideband, Kicker subs, Kappa 62.9i door speakers & tweeters, center speaker resistor, Damplifier
    Spencer's HID low beams and fogs, LED lights with clear sidemarkers, 50% tint, clear bra, debadged, ASA wheels w/RE050A 285/35 rears

Formerly HSV-GTS-300 Crazy Paul's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not quite so simple as that.
    From memory there's 2 x TPS sensors and the ECM uses both to calculate the Throttle %
    I'll try to find the tech write-up I read about how they work and post it up.

Meanwhile here's the GM info.

Crazy Paul
    Your Holden Parts Connection in Australia!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HSV-GTS-300 View Post
    I'll try to find the tech write-up I read about how they work and post it up.
    I can't find the webpage which had all the great TPS info.....I thought I bookmarked it. {Grrrrrrr}
    The DTC2135 suggests that TPS1 signal goes from 0.35V to 4.65V as the throttle blade opens, while TPS2 signal goes from 4.65V to 0.35V as the throttle blade opens. Opposite functionality.
    Two processors in the ECM monitor the difference between the readings and also from expected readings.
    > 9% difference between TPS1 & TPS2 signals throws a code.
    Crazy Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Paul,
    Thanks for this info. I am installing a triple gauge kit I got from you with one of the gauges being a wideband A/F gauge. The Autometer gauge I bought has a peak/warn feature that is activated by a WOT switch. The WOT switch I am purchasing "learns" the difference between idle position and WOT and can be installed on a "rising" or "falling" signal. My assumption is that I could use either signal (TPS1 or TPS2) for this switch to triger the A/F gauge to activate it's peak/warn feature. What do you think? Anyone else have any experience with this or WOT switches for nitrous and can help please give me your thoughts.
    TVS1900 Maggie w/3" pulley, Kooks 1-7/8 LT's, Magnaflow 16875 moded to full 3" exhaust w/hf cats, Fast 65# injectors, Lonnie' dual FP, Camaro 3.27 diff, Roto-Fab CAI, BP catch can, IAT relotation kit, Dynoed @ 485rwhp-475 rwtq
    Homelink-visor, auto dim mirror, LED int. lights, driverside trunk release, HSV 3 gauge kit w/boost, fuel press., wideband, Kicker subs, Kappa 62.9i door speakers & tweeters, center speaker resistor, Damplifier
    Spencer's HID low beams and fogs, LED lights with clear sidemarkers, 50% tint, clear bra, debadged, ASA wheels w/RE050A 285/35 rears

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it sounds like either would provide what you need with enough accuracy.

There's conflicting info in the quoted GM text above Vs the GM DTC info.
    Text says that both TPS sensors are zero V at closed throttle, whereas the DTC info says one TPS starts at zero V and the other TPS starts at 4.65V
    If you're only going to tap into one TPS then you should be fine.
    Crazy Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking the same thing relative to conflicting info but understand why they would have opposing values. For this application I just need to know when it is at WOT to switch the peak/warn portion of the gauge function. It will be easy to know if it is working and it is not critical to the function of the vehicle. Thanks again for your input, with the pinout you suppplied it should be simple to tap in the circuit. I see why so many people on this board think so highly of you.