Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: P0505 - Idle Air Control Valve failure on 2001 Nissan Maxima

Post Thanks / Like

Default P0505 - Idle Air Control Valve failure on 2001 Nissan Maxima

My dad's 2001 Nissan Maxima GXE with Manual Transmission recently threw a P0505 code and started idling a bit high. Doing some research, it looks like there's a known issue wherein the Idle Air Control Valve stepper motor fails, shorts out, and takes the control circuitry on the ECM with it. Nice design. We pulled the ECM and, sure 'nuf, one of the chips on the ECM is cracked and the circuit board is blackened.

The solution is to either repair or replace the ECM, replace the IACV, and replace the TPS. We've got the IACV and TPS (both Hitachi parts) on order, and the ECM we'll send off for repair. The question I have then is...

Checking both the service manual and the part descriptions for the IACV, I don't see mention of a replacement gasket for the connection to the throttle assembly. Does it need a new gasket for this connection, or should I be safe reusing what was on the car?

Thanks!
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke

LOST BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN GRRRR8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a new gasket for it if applicable. Yes this is a fairly common issue on a lot of imports. Hi resistance in the IAC circuit wipes out the ecm. There is also a relearn procedure once the repair is completed.
    2008 Liquid Red Pontiac G8 Sport/Premium - Adams Polishes - American Racing Headers - ARP - BMR Fabrication - Circle D Specialties - COMP Cams - Crazy Paul - Dynojet - Earl's - Flowmaster - Fuel Air Spark Technology - G2 - GFORCE 1320 - Greg Weld - HP Tuners - JBA - Lingenfelter - Maverick Man Carbon - Metco Motorsports Solutions - Mickey Thompson - M&H - Mike Norris Motorsports - NGK - Pace Performance - Pedders USA - Powerbond - PSI - Russell - SBX Performance - SJM Manufacturing - SPOHN Performance - Tony Mamo - Vararam - Vector Motorsports - Wretched Motorsports - 470 RWHP 427 TQ - Engine Tune By Patrick G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Charlie. I wasn't able to find any info on whether the new valve we ordered came with a gasket. If not, we'll make sure to get one ordered. Looks like they're just a few bucks.

Thanks also for the pointer about the relearn procedure. I was able to find one that thankfully doesn't require Nissan's special scan tool.
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke