Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strong rotten garbage smell in G8!

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Strong rotten garbage smell in G8!

So about 3 days ago, I started noticing this really REALLY strong smell of rotten/rank garbage inside my G8.
    It was disgusting. I keep my car very clean inside and out, so this was stumping me. My 2 1/2 yr old daughter sometimes rides in the back, but on the passenger side back and in her car seat. I thought maybe she spilled some milk on the floorboard and I hadn't seen it and it soured. Nope, the smell I finally pinpointed is coming from the back floorboard behind the driver's seat.

NOBODY rides back there, ever. Nothing was spilled there I'm very confident. I spent 2 hrs night before last cleaning everything really good, foam cleaned and scrubbed all carpet and febreezed it. Smell came back. Yesterday I sprayed the mess out of the interior carpets with this heavy duty industrial strength deoderizer that kills viruses, bacteria, mold, mildew, etc...., rolled the windows down and let it sit for 4 hrs.
    The next morning the smell had come back. Last night I steam cleaned twice the back carpet and while the smell is better this morning, it's still there.

I'm really starting to wonder if a critter climbed up the undercarriage of the car and got up under the rear carpet and died or something. I jacked the car up last night and got under there and everything looks normal and no signs of anything. So I'm stumped.

Has this ever happened to anyone before??? How hard is it to remove the back seat/rear carpet? I'm not really sure what to do next. The car has smelled perfectly fine until 3 days ago. Now it smells plain nasty.
    New (cheap monthly payment car, lol): '12 Candy Apple Red Mustang GT 5.0 6MT, stock for the time being

**SOLD **
    White Hot '09 G8 GT, Pat G tune, Pat G cam (.634"/.608", 223/230, 112 + 2), G8-4-Speed ported & milled heads, "ram air" intake, & ported TB; Reckart 90mm MAF/LS7 card, HSRK, DT headers, Rotofab, Magnaflow CB, H & R springs, stock gears & stock stall, 11.865 @ 120.32 mph, 1.941 sec 60'

Post Thanks / Like
    Trigger
    My Fully Loaded 08 Stealth Blue Pontiac G8 GT

There's always someone faster,
    they just don't look as good lol
    Rotofab/Cortex/BMR/Pedders/VMR/Adams/Brakes/OBX/Nitto

PRAISE THE LOWERED

Post Thanks / Like

I had a water leak from not putting the front firewall plug back into place. It was fine until I installed my dash gauges and ran more wires in the hole. With the hose on the windshield I could see the water hitting the new wires and running right in the hole. When I would drive the water would slosh to the rear floor and be deeper than the carpet.

So getting to the point I ended up puling the drivers seat out and the carpet trim on that side so I could clean and dry the carpet.
    To pull the carpet 1/2 way up you need to pull the drivers seat the back seat bench and the carpet trim.
    Be careful with the trim it break and cracks easily as I now have about 4 pieces that need replaced.
    Take the front and rear carpet trim off first, then the middle piller trim. Next the lower piller trim can come off, then you can carefully pull the seat track trim off to pull the seat.
    888-748-4655
    All Prices in posts are subject to change at anytime.
    Check us out at www.PacePerformance.com

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    2009 MSM Supercharged G8 GXP M6 - 11.51 @ 126.09
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link SRG, but that didn't help. The smell is not coming from the vents. Certainly not a rotten egg smell, and I don't have cats. It is definitely coming from under the carpet, rear floor behind driver's seat.

Greg, thanks for all this info. Do the trim pieces just pry off with a flathead? Now I'm afraid of breaking them all. I already do have one that is broken. But say the driver's seat must come off also? I wonder if this could be anything that would be covered under my bumper to bumper warranty that is still in effect? I have made no modifications to my interior and installed no guages. So if there's a water leak somewhere it's a factory defect.
    New (cheap monthly payment car, lol): '12 Candy Apple Red Mustang GT 5.0 6MT, stock for the time being

**SOLD **
    White Hot '09 G8 GT, Pat G tune, Pat G cam (.634"/.608", 223/230, 112 + 2), G8-4-Speed ported & milled heads, "ram air" intake, & ported TB; Reckart 90mm MAF/LS7 card, HSRK, DT headers, Rotofab, Magnaflow CB, H & R springs, stock gears & stock stall, 11.865 @ 120.32 mph, 1.941 sec 60'

Too many projects.
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the rear carpeting for water. If there is a leak, take it in.

Normally that's not a garbage smell though.
    2016 Chevy SS / Jungle / M6 / Spare / Roof
    2013 Chevy Avalanche / Z71 / FGM / Roof
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP / SBM / M6 / No Roof
    1988 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon (modified)

Post Thanks / Like

There is a TSB for a water leak on the rear floor.
    Yes most just pry off. There is a 15 torx bit that is needed to remove a few but you will see them after you pull some of the trim. You might get away with just pulling the rear seat and removing the rear carpet trim. That one is easy and is held in by one torx screw that you will see after you pull the rear seat.

You might then be able to peel the carpet up some to check it out.

As long as you remove the trim in the correct order you won't have a problem. I was trying to cheat and didn't know the order so I brok some
    888-748-4655

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    586rwhp/495tq

Post Thanks / Like

Hi: I had an 04 gto that they bought back as a lemon because it was leaking around the windshield. It was well documented that they had water leak problems. I know its a differeent car but check into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@PacePerformance View Post
    There is a TSB for a water leak on the rear floor.
    Yes most just pry off. There is a 15 torx bit that is needed to remove a few but you will see them after you pull some of the trim. You might get away with just pulling the rear seat and removing the rear carpet trim. That one is easy and is held in by one torx screw that you will see after you pull the rear seat.

You might then be able to peel the carpet up some to check it out.

As long as you remove the trim in the correct order you won't have a problem. I was trying to cheat and didn't know the order so I brok some
    Greg do you happen to know the TSB number? And also does the rear seat just pull up? I'm not sure I know where to pull.
    And yea water shouldn't smell like this, so it's likely totally unrelated. But I'm still racking my brain trying to figure this out.

**SOLD **

Post Thanks / Like

This is my thread it will show you how to get the rear seat out. It is easy to do.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=22438
    2009.5 G8 GT Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Struggle.
    Pretty much just yank up on the two corners of the seat.

TSB - PIC5283
    888-748-4655

2009.5 Liquid Red G8 GT
    586rwhp/495tq