Site Sponsors & Vendors
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need advice on the next power mod...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I need advice on the next power mod...

I have some money that I have earmarked for the car but do not know what to spend it on. I want to add more power but am not yet willing to step up to forced induction.

I have been grasping at straws (FAST intake, VaraRam power wedge, etc) but don't feel comfortable with any of that as it stands. I also mainly use the car on the race-track (for off-road performance driving) so have been warned about getting a convertor and the heat that it will generate. I have way more power on the street now than I will ever feel comfortable using but on the track I can always use more. I also do enjoy getting it out to the drag strip but good numbers there are not my main focus.

Here is my power-mod list...should I do something with my heads? What kind of gains should I expect? I would like to keep the bill under $5000...any advice would be much appreciated!

Vararam CAI with HSRK
    KOOKS LTH with HFC, x-pipe and magnaflow axlebacks
    VMS remote 93 tune and stage 2 trans
    GXP 3.70 differential
    Ported Throttle body
    Trunnion rocker bearing upgrade (comp cams)
    VMS stage 1.5 cam and dod delete package. (222/234 on a 116. The lift is .608"/.618", or so I have been told)

Note: I have posted in other forums as well...just looking for as much advice as I can get my hands on.
    R.I.P. Charlie. We are all here because of you

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

What pushes you away from forced induction? Seems like your ready your current mods are very tasteful. You could consider wheels those camaro 20s are slow and heavy and must cripple you at a circle track I know it hurts guys in the quarter
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    D1 Procharged
    11.69@119
    Redline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blanky View Post
    What pushes you away from forced induction? Seems like your ready your current mods are very tasteful. You could consider wheels those camaro 20s are slow and heavy and must cripple you at a circle track I know it hurts guys in the quarter
    $$$. Dropping $10,000 into the car is too much for me right now. Plus it seems that it's a slippery slope, with all the extra power you need new axles, fuel pump, etc, etc. I hope I'm wrong on that but the initially investment is just a bit too much.

I only run the Camaro's daily, for looks. On the track I put the stock 18's on and will have Continental track slicks on them this coming season.

"I have dreamed a dream, and now that dream has gone from me" - Morpheus of the Nebuchadnezzar, and Grant of I12XLR8.

'Luskville is a cool experience, Calabogie is incredible, Mosport is life altering'

Post Thanks / Like

Get that nitrious.
    Blown by Jessika
    Tuned by Pat G
    "Stock" MGM G8

Post Thanks / Like

Blowers are 5750 right now... they are simple to install & at standard boost levels you dont need all the supporting stuff up front...
    **RIP Shaun Finley**
    FUCK CANCER
    **RIP Charlie**

'16 2SS NFG Camaro M6 NPP Mag
    Procharged, custom 4.5" heat exchanger, custom cam
    LT4 fuel system and top hardware, Stainless Works long tubes
    Weld wheels, Hoosier rear fatties, M&H front skinnies

Beyond Help
    Post Thanks / Like

But he has a cam. So he will need a pump, trailing arms, toe rods and cradle bushings to be safe.

Best mod you can do is a stall with a tranny cooler, and send your heads to Rick crawford for a good port and polish with some money left over for tires and gas of course.
    2008 G8 GT
    TSP Forged LS3- D1-221/232 RCR Cam-Ported L92's-Yank2800 Triple Disc-Squash-ID850-Coolingmist Meth Injection-Demon8 Designs-Aerofoce-BMR-BC Racing-Brembos-Kooks-Solo 3in-Derale atomic super cooler-ace performance built 6l80
    Rick Crawford Tuned
    663/596 Rwhp rwtq for now....
    10.87 at 133 1.59 60ft

Post Thanks / Like

You would need a fuel pump the the supercharger but not suspension IMO. Not that it's not a good idea but not required. Maggie will tear stuff up much worse than turbos/procharger
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    D1 Procharged
    11.69@119
    Redline

Post Thanks / Like

Default I need advice on the next power mod...

I'm assuming you already have a good rims/tires combination, but if not, definitely that. Otherwise, suspension work is under appreciated. Trailing arms, bushings, sway bars, LCAs, shocks, and the like can change the tenor of your car in a BIG way and get all that power to the pavement. But aside from a good set of heads or a stroker motor, you've just about tapped out your power options short of FI or nitrous.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say converter if it was DD/1320 but who wants a big stall on circle track? I may be wrong
    You can go heads there is multiple options patG makes sick power NA. As well I think someone on here has a white g8 with vector heads? I don't know ricks gains on porting stock heads but I'm sure someone from his crew will chime in. I'm also sure ricks advice on mods would be well worth hearing
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    D1 Procharged
    11.69@119
    Redline

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperchargerConnection View Post
    Blowers are 5750 right now... they are simple to install & at standard boost levels you dont need all the supporting stuff up front...
    What gains are expected at 'standard' boost levels? That price is better than I expected but as I'd be throwing the car around the track a lot harder I'd want to do whatever would be suggested for the suspension first.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeast View Post
    But he has a cam. So he will need a pump, trailing arms, toe rods and cradle bushings to be safe.
    This was my concern. I do already have cradle and differential bushings but will look at the rest if I'll really notice a difference with them, blown or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanky View Post
    I would say converter if it was DD/1320 but who wants a big stall on circle track? I may be wrong
    You can go heads there is multiple options patG makes sick power NA. As well I think someone on here has a white g8 with vector heads? I don't know ricks gains on porting stock heads but I'm sure someone from his crew will chime in. I'm also sure ricks advice on mods would be well worth hearing
    I was leaning towards heads but know very little about the potential gains as a stand alone mod. Can anyone provide numbers?

I have two issues with any mods to the car. First, the car can not be down for more than a couple of days and I live in Canada. This means that taking off the heads and shipping them out is unlikely to happen as I have to get them over the border, have the work done, then get back to the border to pick them up. This puts the car down for at least a week ;-( Second, I have to be able to drive the car in the winter. I know this doesn't make much sense but the deal with the wife is that I have relative free reign on modding the car as long as it remains my daily driver, all year 'round.