Site Sponsors & Vendors

Thread: What Kind of Water to Mix with Coolant?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Kind of Water to Mix with Coolant?

So I've read about the wisdom of using distilled or deionized water when draining and refilling coolant systems - a task I need to do with all my cars except the G8, since the dealer just replaced the water pump. FWIW, here is the response I got from Prestone on this:

Prestone does recommend mixing deionized/demineralized/distilled water with antifreeze to form the coolant mixture used in your cooling sytem. Retained salts and dissolved solids that are common in tap/well/city/ground water tend to form a layer of deposits on the interior of the cooling system, reducing flow and inhibiting heat transfer. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, any of those will work. I'd stay away from cheap brands of water that don't explicitly say distilled or deionized. For example, there will be some jugs at your local grocery store that say "drinking water". Stay away from that since you don't know the filtering process for sure. Stay away from spring water as well.

Post Thanks / Like

So what did they say they wanted you to mix it with?..... or did they want you to buy their premixed solution..... they have magical water... ....
    2009 G8 GT; F1x procharger on Supercharger store direct drive system; 430cuin LSX; E85; 9" rear; DSS once pc driveshaft; 4L80
    9.2@151.... fastest and heaviest G8 known to man.... ...

Post Thanks / Like

I just buy the gallon jugs of distilled water at the grocery store and call it good. Like waltJR said, make sure the jug says "distilled"!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    2009 Liquid Red O/R M6 G8 GXP - Nickname: "The Yak"
    Bought 5/21/2009, Sold 5/2/2015. Will be missed!

Daily Driver: 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Hauler: 2005 Ford Excursion Powerstroke